Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Who Parent's Who?

My son is taller than me.  What a weird feeling!  I changed his diaper, spanked his little bottom, and carried him around in my hip until I had shoulder issues.  Now he is taller than me!  This got me thinking...

When do the tables turn with your kids?  I mean, when do the parents start seeking advice from their children?  At what point is there a confidence check?  I 100% respect my parents and listen to their sound advice, but for most part, I seem to be leading the pack on decisions or ideals. Marty pays all the bills ad has power of attorney over his mom.  He makes most of the financial decisions in her life.  Years ago I could never ever imagine my kids making decisions for me. I never dreamed they would have enough wisdom  or knowledge to make an informed decision.  But now, my sensitive, sweet , taller-than-me boy is starting to convince me. 

He loves the Lord and wants to do right.  He loves his family.  He loves me.  He wants to be a husband and father one  day, and he actually told me one time, "mom, you won't always be no.1 in my life you know?"  (Ouch-insert knife deep into my heart).  Really why?  "Well, I'm going to be married one day and she has to be my no. 1.  Just like daddy loves you."

OMY word. 

The wisdom that poured out of that statement floored me.  I mean, I literally felt my heart in my throat.  (Yes that's a real feeling, when you have so much pride in you kid you can hardly swallow).   He continued, "well actually mom, you may be #2 or 3.  It depends how many daughters I have." 

My 13 year old son is planning on having a family, raising them and loving them as Christ loves the church.  What an amazing blessing.  Who ever gets this boy is going to be ONE LUCKY gal! AND yes, I'll be visiting a lot to get advice from him.

Thank you Dear Lord for Isaac.  The love a mother has for her son is indescribable.  AND the fact his name is Isaac makes it hard!  When Abraham was willing to sacrifice his Isaac for the Lord, puts that name at a whole new level!  Lord help me raise my man child to walk upright and humbly at the same time.  Help me not be annoyed by his tickling and  loving hugs and "wrestling" he always wants to do!  May the "#1 girl" in his life (future girl...I'm going to be as long as possible) even now be serving, loving and living for You!  Protect her, keep her pure.  Guard Isaac's heart and help him be a man of integrity.  Thank you that I get to borrow him for a short lifetime!

I still can't believe MY head now rests on his chest!

No comments: