Tuesday, May 17, 2016

-The Other Woman--

As a young lady I dreamt of the day I would be a bride.  The handsome young prince standing at the end of the isle waiting to sweep me in his arms and live happily ever after.

Thanks to Disney, I'm sure most little girls have that dream.

Only thing is, we stop there. The wedding is only the first square of an entire toilet paper roll. No matter how that fancy goes, you are MARRIED----Stuck by a holy covenant to ONE person.

We spent more time picking flowers and tasting cake then we did discussing our parenting philosophy or even how many kids we want to have! The fantasy of the blissful day completely over shadowed a life long partnership that we probably should have been investigating.

I am blessed to say I had an amazing wedding day. Like a storybook princess I got my prince....and likewise we are living happily ever after. Here's why:

The other woman.

This other woman loved my prince more than I did. She knew him more than he knew himself. She wanted his happiness more than she wanted her own needs being met. She held her opinions to herself,  watched as I came in and stole him from her and never said a word against me.

Her concern was for HIS heart only and encouraged him to follow it as --hers was breaking.

My Mother in Law is a beautiful soul, and here is how I know.

I will one day have a Daughter in love. I will one day push my little bird out of the nest to watch another swoop him up and care for him. (Oh geez...here I go again) I will one day not be "number one woman" in his life....

But that's ok.

My mother in law gave me the biggest gift I could ever receive, and yet it has taken me nearly 17 years to realize. And one day I will have the opportunity to give that gift.

She gave me the gift of a loving husband.


She taught my man how to serve; how to unconditionally love, how to bend to his strong-willed wife and she gave me-- him.

I never said thank you.

As she lies in a hospital bed fighting for her life, regrets swell over me. Why did I think there was competition? Why would I ever be concerned that we have Christmas at her house!? Why didn't I see so much earlier what a sacrificial gift she had given me.

And why didn't I thank her?

My husband is a beautiful man and I pray one day my son can be half that! He has taught me true integrity, faithfulness, and legit kindness. I blame the other woman. (thank God for her!)

So as a tribute to that other woman, I strive to be the best "other woman" to my son's wife.

Golly Heidi, he's only 14! I know I know, but my desire for him to be cherished, godly, full of joy, and on fire for Jesus trumps his age! Even now (and for several years) I have prayed for her. I have prayed God protect her, draw her near to Him, guide her and prepare her to love my son more than I can (Truly a tall order).

So for all the other women out there--Thank you!

Thank you for taking the sideline for the benefit of your son! Thank you for loving him before we even knew him. AND thank you for building up a man that will fill the hole in our hearts!

Thank you,

The other 'other' woman :)

3 comments:

Heather Kemp said...

That's so beautiful Heidi! Thank you for sharing these words and your heart with us. And know that it is never too late to share that with her too. What an amazing gift you've been given! Love you girl!! ❤️

Unknown said...

I love this! I wish I could say 'thank you' a thousand times over to Matt's precious Mom, Anita. This is such a good reminder to those with loving husbands to consider how they got that way! Again, you produced a wonderful post with great insight and conviction!

Unknown said...

Oh dear daughter what a delight you have become!! This post reminds me of something my mother taught me..."Watch how your husband loves, cares, respects, and treats his mother, beacuse it shows how he will treat you"! You have such a blessing in Marty, and it is
admirable how he treats his mother! To God goes the glory!!