Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Day in the Life of a 16-month-old


If your life is boring, drab, or otherwise uneventful, may I suggest getting a 16-month-old. If you don't want any down time, or are bored on how things stay where they belong, I suggest getting a 16-month-old. There are no garauntees however, I'm just going off the experience of one particular cutie: ABBY MAE.

Yep, a typical day has these events in them. (all are true accounts, no names or identities have been changed)

"Where's Abby?" "Oh cute, she found a mickey mouse straw, haven't seen that since the move last spring." "Where's Abby?" Here she comes out of the bathroom with a wet mickey mouse straw and water all over her and the toilet. I guess she was trying to see how a straw worked, and being innovative, there was water she could reach easily. (thank God it was flushed)

After taking the trash out, I go to the pantry to get another bag to put in the can. There is the box, where are the bags? I know I bought a brand new box last week, I couldn't have used all of them. After investigation I found that Abby enjoys pulling out the bags and putting them IN the trash can. At least she knows where they go.

This particular 16-month-old is highly intelligent and knows how to escape an adult size house. On a few occasions I'm in the kitchen doing dishes,thinking Abby is in the play room. I see a streak of pink go past the window. After a double take, there she is on an afternoon stroll-BY HERSELF OUTSIDE! Those of you that need adreniline rushes, or a kick for the kicker---this 16-month-old episode will do it everytime---especially when she's running straight for the road.


I can honestly say there has not been a peice of furniture she has not climb onto the highest point. I find random toys, pacifiers, sippy cups chewed carrots, grapes and other half eaten goodies in my kitchen drawers, bathroom counters, toy boxes and anywhere that stuff should not be. (and usually months after the fact...ok so I think it was a carrot)

Her favorite thing to do is pull stuff out--out of chest of drawers, tissue boxes, dog bowls, toy boxes, office desks, craft areas, and sister's hair. This must be a talent. How can we use this. If I ask her, she usually will put stuff back in...what's the use though?

One good thing about having a 16-month-old is that I get to use my sweeping skills. I have to sweep the kitchen floor at least 4 times a day or she starts eating left overs. And trust me, just because I sweep doesn't mean I get everything. Remember she hides things. (see above paragraph)


All in all, our life is full. Our particular 16-month-old is funny, playful, smart, and a true joy to be around. She loves baths, toothbrushes, babies and Q-tips. She is a TRUE blessing. I'd love to loan her out to anyone thinking about getting one. I hear the return on them is amazing. I'm already reaping some of it!--especially when we pray ANYWHERE, she will grab my hand and bow her head.

5 comments:

Dan and Tammy said...

How fun! I have a 19 month old who is great too, not quite as adventurous as Abby, but she is fun. I love watching their personalities come out and love watching their communication skills growing. :) Glad to read about your Abby! Still holding out on baby #4. I'll keep you posted. :)

velvet said...

Whoever says third children are easy-going is full of it! You're good to sweep the floor. I wait until the end of the day, and let Jace wonder around the table at snack time. Is that bad????

So glad you wrote about your Abby. I feel like I don't know her.

Wish You Were Here said...

Isaac and Rhea will soon learn to let their little sister clean their bedrooms, before Mom feeds her. I love it. She is a doll!

April said...

Yes, definitely leave the crumbs on the floor. I like the way they crunch under my bare feet when I walk through the kitchen. Sometimes I get hungry myself and wander around in the kitchen. Another good place to find snacks is under the booster seat. Yes, lots of yummy stuff under there!

Abby is a doll!

Michael & Valerie Harris said...

oh, how true! And they only get more adventurous the older they get. I would just love a house full of Maddys adn Abbys!